|It started in 1925
"Twenty five years ago Edo was established on a bayside plot of land near the ferry which brought passengers from Classon's Point to Long Island. On one side was the College Point Yacht Club; nearby was Witzel's Grove, largest beer garden in the area and a favorite for the predominantly German population of College Point - a quiet "main street" community within the New York City limits.
The shore-side location on Flushing Bay was ideal for the new company founded to build improved seaplanes and incorporated September 29, 1925, as the Edo Aircraft Corporation. The name was derived from the initials of Earl D. Osborn, founder and President of the company.
First project was an all-metal flying boat of 110 hp called the "Malolo", but because of the limited market for flying boats the company switched its endeavors to the design and construction of all-metal seaplane floats which would permit easy conversion of any land plane to seaplane use. In 1926 the first scow-shaped, angular aluminum Edo twin floats were installed on a Waco 9 of the Ludington Exhibition Company, Philadelphia.
Within a year the company was in modest production of the Model "C" de-luxe floats which introduced fluted bottoms for greatly increased performance over cumbersome wooden floats previously available. The original hangar was enlarged in 1927 and again in 1929 when space was doubled by the addition of what is now a portion of the final assembly area.
1929 saw the introduction of a series of standardized Edo floats for aircraft ranging from 1500 to 8000 pounds. Engineering and manufacturing were handled respectively by B. V. Korvin-Kroukovsky and Kenneth D. Vosler and the same two as Vice Presidents were largely responsible for the company's growth.
The development of the Edo all-metal float did much to stimulate the use of seaplanes. The lighter weight and greater stamina of all-metal contruction plus improved aerodynamic ad hydrodynamic hull shapes greatly increased performance.
As a result, Edo floats began playing an increasingly important role in many fields. Much of the Canadian northland, for instance, has been developed by planes equipped with Edo floats. Many unexplored areas of the world have been first seen by men looking down past the familiar Edo deck hand-hole covers.
In short, it may be said that the last quarter century of floatplane development has been the history of Edo."
"Twenty Fifth Anniversary" EDO Corporation 1925-1950, College Point, L.I., New York